Friday, April 6, 2007

Gumment

Yesterday I was at city hall getting permits. I figured that being legal about things would be a good idea, so I got a permit for the changes I'm going to do to the wall between the nook and dining room. The very friendly clerk also had me list things like the french doors and the various bits of drywall. A permit is not required for kitchen cabinets and flooring.

I also got a permit for the minor plumbing and electrical I need to do. Since I'll be doing the work myself, I had to get a homeowner's self-renovation license. The electrical test had 30 questions, the plumbing has 20. What's interesting is that they actually give you the book of code, so it actually becomes a test of how well one can figure out the index. I suppose they just want us to know that there is such a thing as a building code and where to find the details.

The whole thing took about 3 hours and cost $134. Unfortunately, I didn't manage my time well and I got a parking ticket. Did you know you can pay parking tickets online in Denver?

No comments: