Sunday, April 1, 2007

Master bathroom



I think I mentioned earlier that I was going to start with the master bathroom, as I want to get the whirlpool tub installed quickly so I can enjoy it at the end of every day. This is what the bathroom looked like when I started:





I started by carefully cutting the silicone-sealed seams and prying things apart. After being careful for a while, I got out the sledgehammer and started bashing. Amazing, within 30 minutes, the entire tub was out and in a pile in the bedroom.
Here's the "after" picture:


(you can click on this and all blog pictures to get an bigger version on your screen)







Next I started with the tile floor. I had to go to Depot to get a chisel, and started working on it. I soon discovered that there were two layers of tile in the bathroom. It was originally done in 1 inch square tiles, and a subsequent remodeler simply applied 5x5 inch tiles over them. So I spent hours and hours getting rid of the first layer, then more hours and hours chipping out the second layer. No problem, just made my hands tired. I really wish I was ambidextrous like my mom- have you ever tried to use your left hand to hammer? It isn't easy, you have no strength which is OK as you have no accuracy either!


Finally I removed the glass shower door. No sledgehammer there, just unscrewed the thing (thank goodness for my nifty electric screwdriver) and took it apart. It soon joined the ever-expanding pile of debris in the bedroom:


After this, I also began removing the carpet in the master bedroom. I learned my lesson a few years ago when we put Pergo in the California house and this time I wore a dust mask. No sinus infection this time!

1 comment:

Kathleen Claire said...

When we haul all of that debris out of there, we'll need professional massages!