Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Passed inspections

This week I had three critical inspections planned: electrical, rough plumbing and structural. Ruth the Electrical Inspector was the one I feared the most, however, she looked at all the changes I had made based on her last inspection and was very happy. She did tell me to put in a receptacle by the new wetbar. but that's easy. She signed off the precious permit and as she was walking out she said that I'd done a very good job. That's encouraging.

The plumbing guy was easy, he liked what he saw (moving the kitchen plumbing 12 inches north, adding a second set of connections for the master bathroom vanity, adding wetbar connections and the jacuzzi connection. He blanched at the P-trap that Frank had built and asked that it be changed. And he wanted to see the moved gas line be pressure tested.

Today he came back for the re-inspection and I passed. The good news was that pressure testing the gas line meant that I finally had to take my new air compressor out of the box and fire it up. It works, thank goodness, I doubt Sears would take it back if there was a problem after all this time.

The structural guy looked bored. He signed off on the joists I put in for the kitchen ceiling, but ordered me to change the screws from drywall screws to ones specifically for joist hangers. Lowes didn't have them, but Depot did so I got to work. Let's see... two ends per joist, 4 screws per end and nine joists makes 72 screws to unscrew and rescrew.

Know the difference between a screw and a bolt? By definition, a bolt has a nut on it. Once you take the nut off it becomes a screw. I learned that from my old mechanical engineering days.

Today I put up the insulation for the kitchen ceiling. Walter Torres and his crew start with the new drywall on Thursday. I will continue to report progress.

1 comment:

Kathleen Claire said...

Don't ever doubt your abilities, Alex. You have surpassed my expectations and even the expectations of the inspectors. Well done!